Sunday, May 27, 2007

Outdoor training

A boat does not go forward if each on is rowing their own way.

Swahili proverb

I was asked to prepare outdoor/teambuilding activities during the weekend 25 - 26th May. For me it started to become a reality on Saturday, 6 a. m. when I woke up and went to a forest to prepare The Day of the Triffids game (based on the novel by John Wyndham).

It was amazing to stay in a forest so early in the morning - just me and nature, everything so silent. Of course I was afraid not to get lost and fortunatelly I did not. According to this game there is a group af blindfolded people lead by one of them to the safe place. On their way they have to overcome some obstacles and at the whole end they are supposed to cross the river without any bridge. I really wanted to incude this part but... Of course I had to try it by myself first... Firstly I almost lost my shirt as I did not realize it appeared in river somehow (it was hung on my backpack before). Then it happened:-) I got off my shoes and tried to cross the river but... Suddenly I lost my balance and simply sat down into water. Fortunatelly it was sunny and warm and place was very near to the cottage where we stayed. After such an experience I decided not to include this part into game:-)

In the afternoon we played "Cannon" outdoor game. We spent about 2 hours in forest testing physical condition and team cooperation. I think I as a trainer succeed because after coming bac to cottage everybody was tired and not so talkative and alughing as at the beginning:-)

Then on Sunday morning at 5 a. m. (4 hours of sleep for some lucky ones) really strong alarm delivered by me woke them up. Everybody blinfolded. The game "The Day of the Triffids " could start. I spent about 2 hours with a team in forest courious how they will performe.

If the success of outdoor teambuilding is (among others) measurable by good mood in a team afterwards, tired people and telling phrases like "I hate National Trainers Team!", "I want to get back to the cottage", " I hate nature and have wet shoes they will not get dry"... then this teambuilding was successful. Photos.

No comments: